Don’t you love it when you get to pamper yourself once in a while? After a stressful, long work week, we often treat ourselves for just getting through the week alive. We buy ourselves a gift, get good food or even go on a staycation. While this is much needed, do you remember to pamper and treat parts of you that also went through the stressful week?
Our hair is too often put through many hardships like extreme pollution, harsh heat from styling tools, chemicals from everyday products and much more. This is why we need to make time to give the hair an intense treatment. This treatment should help the hair repair itself from all the hardships it was put through and also be protected from further damage. The key to this is through overnight hair masks.
What Is An Overnight Hair Mask?
A hair mask is usually a thick paste-like product that is made from a combination of one or more ingredients that are beneficial for the hair. The consistency of the hair mask can differ based on the ingredients that go into it. The ingredients used should target the specific hair problems faced by the user and provide deep conditioning and repair.
While a hair mask is usually put on for 30 minutes to one hour or so, an overnight hair mask will be put on, you guessed it, overnight. The overnight hair masks will have ingredients that benefit the hair when used for a longer time period. These ingredients are usually different from that of regular hair masks.
Overnight hair masks should provide the hair with intense moisturisation, deep conditioning, and target problem areas. They can be made at home or be store-bought.
How Does An Overnight Hair Mask Help? (Benefits)
Depending on the ingredients that go into its making, an overnight hair mask should have varying benefits. However, here are the general benefits of an overnight hair mask:
- Intense moisturisation: Since an overnight hair mask has around 6-8 hours to work its magic, the hair gets time to take all that it has to offer and stay moisturised for a long time.
- Improves hair texture: Using an overnight hair mask will reduce the hair’s frizz and add shine to the hair.
- Protect the hair: Leaving on the product for a long time will leave a protective coating on the hair. This allows the hair to protect itself from further damage.
- Target specific problems: According to the ingredients, the nutrients from it can be absorbed into the hair follicles which will help repair problems like hair loss, breakage, dandruff, split ends and more.
- Help reduce hair fall: Giving your hair an extra boost of nutrients that is different from everyday products will help in reducing hair fall and inducing hair growth.
Now that you are aware of the benefits of an overnight hair mask, let’s look into how you can use one.
How To Use An Overnight Hair Mask?
Depending on the kind of hair mask, the steps to use one might also differ. However, here are the steps that remain the same for all types of hair masks.
- Wash your hair: Irrespective of the kind of hair mask, all overnight hair masks should be applied to clean hair. A few hours before bed, wash your hair thoroughly with a mild or clarifying shampoo. Ensure that all product-build up, dirt and oil is washed off. You don’t have to use a conditioner because of the mask.
- Dry the hair: Towel dry your hair using a soft t-shirt or a microfibre towel. Be gentle with the hair as it is most fragile when wet. You don’t have to wait for the hair to be bone dry, most hair masks can be applied to damp hair. However, if the mask is oil-based, it may be better to apply it to dry hair.
- Detangle and section: Using a wide-toothed comb, detangle the hair very gently. With the help of clips or hair ties, section the hair into 4 or more parts.
- Apply the overnight mask: Using your fingers or a brush, take the product and start applying it on the scalp and the lengths of the hair. Make sure you cover the entire scalp. You could also comb the hair with a wide-toothed comb to ensure it is well distributed. Pro tip – wear an old t-shirt or wrap a cloth around your neck so that you don’t stain your clothes.
- Cover the hair: If you have long hair, tie it up into a bun first and then wrap it in a shower cap. You could also make a makeshift covering with a plastic bag.
- Protect the pillow: Cover the pillow with an old cloth to avoid any accidental stain.
- Rinse in the morning: In the morning, carefully remove the covering and rinse with water. You may find it difficult to completely remove the product but keep rinsing.
Unless your store-bought mask instructs you otherwise, follow the above steps to get the most of the overnight mask. Depending on the source of your mask, there are a few things you should know.
DIY Overnight Hair Masks:
Though it is fun to make, you have to be very careful about the ingredients you use and in what quantity. Unlike regular hair masks, overnight hair masks are being applied for a longer period. Because of this, you need to ensure that the ingredients used do not create any negative impact on the hair because of prolonged use. Many ingredients that we use on a hair mask should only be put on for less than an hour. If you exceed that time limit, you are risking the chances of causing the reverse effect than what it was meant to do.
Ingredients that are helpful for moisturising can also make the dry and brittle when kept for longer than intended. Hence, if you are making a DIY overnight hair mask, make sure to do your research and use those ingredients which you are sure will work well. To avoid this risk and hassle, there is an easy way out as well.
There are many over-the-counter hair products, which also includes overnight hair masks. With a busy lifestyle, store-bought overnight hair masks are the better option when you consider going through the hassle of finding the ingredients, prepping them, and making the hair mask. With an over-the-counter overnight hair mask, your task is limited to applying it to the hair. You don’t have to worry if there will be any negative effects of keeping it for a long time. As long as you stick to the time mentioned in the product, it will be safe.
The only thing you need to ensure when buying an overnight hair mask is the ingredients. Many brands use harsh chemicals, harmful preservatives, and other ingredients that are not the best for hair. However, if you take the time to skim through the ingredients list, you can be better safe than sorry. Choose a brand that doesn’t use chemicals, sulphates, or parabens. Instead, they should have natural and Ayurvedic ingredients that provide your hair with highly beneficial nutrients and intense moisturisation. Ingredients like Onion, Mehendi, Bhringaraj, Chandan, Kumari, and more in the Tru Hair Overnight Hair Mask gives your hair the goodness of these rare Ayurvedic ingredients for thick, fuller and healthier hair.
Get all your hair products from a trusted brand like Tru Hair. Tru Hair’s range of products makes use of natural ingredients to provide the hair with rich nutrients that target multiple problems like hair fall, thinning, breakage, split ends, dandruff, premature greying, and more. These rare Ayurvedic ingredients repair damage and also protect the hair from further damage. Opting for products that use natural and organic ingredients is a safe bet while providing the hair with the absolute best.