Parking Reversing Sensors- Provides You Assistance Whilst Car Parking
Reversing parking sensors serve as a very useful tool in today’s time. Reverse parking is a very complicated and important skill for any vehicle owner. Many drivers find reverse parking difficult. Measuring the space around the vehicle for effective car parking and avoiding vehicle bumps is very difficult. Similarly, parallel parking involves frequent back and forth exercises which can be difficult to do without a reversing camera. For this purpose, these sensors were invented and they have been a great invention in technology.
What is a parking sensor?
So, basically, a parking sensor is a proximity sensor that is used by the driver to identify nearby vehicles whilst parking. Usually, these are placed at the back of a bumper. The popularity of these sensors has increased day by day and is being widely used in a lot of vehicles. Such types of systems are called driver assistance systems.
How does a parking sensor circuit work?
It involves 3 LEDs, which basically indicate the distance between your vehicle and the nearby vehicle. It is arranged at the back of a car and works with a 12V rechargeable battery. All the 3 LEDs glow at different times at different distance levels. For instance, the distance between your vehicle and some other object is 25 cm then D7 will glow. The D5 and D6 will glow at a distance of less than 20cm. And in case the distance between 2 vehicles is less than 5 cm then all the 3 LEDs (D7, D5, and D6 will glow). These LEDs will automatically turn off when the distance becomes more than 25 cm.
Types of parking sensors:
There are different types of parking sensors, some will warn you with the help of an audio or a visual alarm whereas some parking sensors are installed with reverse cameras. These reverse cameras will display the view of the back of your car with a warning flashing light, which indicates that the distance between your vehicle and the object is less.
- Two-sensor system: This is the simplest type of sensor system with 2 sensors that are embedded into the rear bumper of a car. This is an ultrasonic system with an audio beep connected to a sensor unit. It warns you by constant beeping, as the vehicle approaches an object the audio sound becomes more loud and frequent. Since it is embedded in the rear bumper of a car, the disadvantage of this is that it is not able to cover the entire area of the car. Leaving the corners out, hence its usefulness is reduced.
- Three-sensor system: Three- sensor system is exactly like the two-sensor system. However, it has a 3rd sensor that is installed in the rear bumper of a vehicle. It is basically an advancement of the two-sensor system and provides better coverage.
- Four-sensor system: This is the best type of reversing camera that you can get. In this 4 sensors are installed in the rear bumper of a car. These combined with a reversing camera provide the best coverage and are the best type of parking system that one can get.
- Six to Eight Sensors:
Usually, such types of sensors are used in bigger vehicles. These include 2 or 4 sensors at the front bumper of a vehicle too because mostly in large vehicles you are not able to judge the distance either from the front or the behind. Available with an audiovisual display system having a separate display unit and a collective unit that displays the LCD screen into the display of your music system.
The advantages and limitations of a parking sensor:
- Having a reverse parking system installed saves the driver from constantly looking over their shoulder whilst parking.
- These also help in reducing the exhaustion and anxiety of a driver whilst parking.
- The chances of getting into an accident and damaging your vehicle by hitting various objects can be reduced.
- However, such sensors have a difficulty in detecting flat or thin objects. This can prove very harmful for the vehicle.
- They become useless when the surface is covered with snow or mud.
Though parking sensors have some limitations there advantages weigh out their drawbacks. They ease the parking difficulty within the narrow areas. Enhance the view of an area which decreases the probability of an accident occurring resulting in injuring the car with its driver. Hence, having a reverse parking sensor installed in your car does not only measure the distance between two vehicles but also provides safety to your vehicle.